Sanremo: Cafè Européen, 1935
The square at the end of corso Matteotti is called "Rigole" by the Sanremese, in commemoration of the owner of the Cafè Européen which started there at the beginning of the 1900's , whose name was Rigollet.
Next to the Cafè Européen, which represents the pulsing heart of the city, a cinema was inaugurated in 1907, first called Parisiana, then Marconi which then became the Moderno. It was only in 1924 that the cinema took the name of Centrale, which it still has today.
The so-called piazza Rigolè has witnessed some of the changes which have taken place in the city. First among these is the change of name of the adjacent street , from via Vittorio to Corso Matteotti.