Sanremo: Russian Church in construction, 1907
The Russian Church, known also as the Church of Christ the Saviour was inaugurated on 23rd December 1913 in the presence of the Russian ambassador Krupensij. Until then the orthodox cult was practiced in a chapel situated in the cemetery of La Foce and dedicated to Saint Nicholas. The Russian Church of Sanremo was built following on from a project by the architect Scusev, who however never visited the city in person and the works suffered some damage during the second world war.
The church suddenly became the point of reference for the Russian community of Sanremo and the surrounding areas, which had reached a number greater to a thousand persons. The building adjacent to the Casinò, represents today still one of the symbols of the city of Sanremo and has some historic icons of very great religious value and of the orthodox tradition.