Sanremo: piazza Colombo, 1910
The true heart of Sanremo is represented by piazza Colombo. Over the years various building works have followed on from each other in this part of the city, starting with the monastery of the Suore Clarisse (Clarisse Sisters) in 1600, to the subsequent barracks, which was then demolished. Piazza Colombo has long been an area with its own identity and its famous "pine" was often chosen as a meeting point and point of reference for all.
Now there are two large fountains in the square and a floored area on which summer and winter events take place including some of the most important local events for the city.
The bus station is below Piazza Colombo, while in the upper part is the prestigious "Chiesa degli Angeli" (Church of the Angels), one of the most important religious buildings in Sanremo.